We help all different types of home moving and the requirements and recommendations around moving each house depends on the size, location, layout and structure of the house. Some general guidelines are:
Detached/ Semi-Detached/ Bungalow/ Houses
It is recommended to use bigger trucks for this type of move. A small truck can also be added to a bigger truck for extra cubic feet of moving space. The trucks are also easier to park and you will have the option to choose as many movers as you need. This flexibility allows you to balance the time needed for moving as well as cost. We will of course be happy to give you our professional recommendation based on our experience!
Townhouse/ Row house/ Townhome
Moving in a townhouse is a tricky task. With reduced area to maneuver bigger items, it is always advisable to move with care. Some of the townhouses are even 3-storeys or more, which means extra flights of stairs which definitely warrants more than 2 movers on a single moving job. It is difficult to park truck on the driveway so a medium sized truck is recommended. As always, based on the structural layout of your house, the square footage and the number of flights of stairs, we can share with you the optimum number of professionals and trucks required
A basement-home can be walkout or with a staircase leading to the main entrance of the house. It sounds like a small structural difference but has quite an impact on the efforts needed for the move. It is advisable to pack all the loose items in relatively bigger boxes so it is easy lifting them into the truck since the truck will most likely be parked a slight distance away from the house
What we offer:
At Touchwood movers, your house moving company of choice, we have a large crew of experienced professionals. We’re able to deploy as few or as many crew members needed to help with moving within the parameters you’re working in
We come fully and appropriately prepared. Our movers carry tape, protecting blankets, mattress covers, plastic wraps, dollies, supplies and other special tools and equipment that help lifting heavy items to execute the relocation to your new house safely and efficiently
No matter the structural layout of your house, tight spaces, steep or short steps, we get the job done. We have years of experience moving in and out of the trickiest houses and not every company can make that claim
Our crew is experienced in packing as well. We often help pack-up the last remaining possessions you may have missed or not had the time to pack. We also provide moving boxes, tape and wardrobe boxes if you let us know in advance
Our crew is able to dis-assemble and assemble most furniture as well. Let us know in advance of any such special needs so we can be prepared and let you know what’s within our capabilities. Our aim is to make the day of the move as unsurprising for you as possible
We are one of the few companies that offer long distance transport as well, across all of Ontario and Quebec
Detailed moving check-list for your convenience!
About 8 weeks before moving day:
- Start shopping for a professional moving company. Don’t book the first one you speak with. Call up a few, ask them for quotes, and not just their hourly rate but also get a sense of how long do they estimate for the move. Ask for what services are included, and what services do they not offer, to avoid any last-minute nasty surprises. Check for reviews online to ensure you hire only the best moving company. Touchwood Movers offer the best rates, are the most efficient and we share completely transparent pricing and quotes with you. Call us for a free no-obligations quote and we assure you, you will like us the best. We’re a family-owned and proudly local house moving company.
- Start planning for which household items do you want to donate or otherwise get rid of by selling on Kijiji, facebook and other such market places. Start calling non-profit donation-accepting companies and book a pick-up or drop-off time with them well in advance. A couple of our recommendations are Furniture Bank and Habitat for Humanity GTA
- Prepare a physical file, or a folder on your computer to start tracking all your moving related expenses and tax-deductible receipts you may receive upon donation. Remember, movers’ cost, travel, lodging and even meals expenses incurred when moving homes are tax-deductible. Please consult with your tax advisor to confirm details on any tax related matter.
About 4 weeks before moving day:
- Make sure all the furniture in your house that you want to dispose off has been scheduled to be taken off your hands, either by a buyer or a non-profit company
- Purchase moving supplies and start packing up your house if you plan to do this by yourselves. Or leave this in the hands of our movers. We know there are a million things involved in moving houses, call us to help you with the most painful tasks
- Set up mail forwarding service by Canada Post. Start transferring any kind of physical subscription services you have at your current house to your new address
- Start looking for and buying furnishings you may have planned for your new house. Many online retailers and even physical stores take a few weeks to deliver. You want to make sure you have all essential things delivered by the time you have moved into your new house
- Start playing ‘interior designer’ for your new house. Prepare a floor plan, decide where which furniture and personal belonging goes in the new house. This will be useful when you direct our professional movers to drop off the right items in the right rooms of your new home.
About 1 week before moving day:
- Start to clean and disconnect appliances you’re talking with yourself to your new house
- Start planning to finish up perishable products prior to relocation and plan for your meals for the last days in your current house without having to have a full refrigerator to avoid wastage
- Finish packing and label items for convenience.
- Apply for a change of address for your driver’s license, health card, vehicle registration, insurance, banks and credit cards, Canada revenue agency, your place of employment, all memberships and even your near and dear ones
- Prepare to disconnect and transfer your hydro account, internet service, security system service, gas/oil, telephone (if you still have one) and other such services
- It is a great idea to build out a full inventory checklist of items you’re moving to your new house
- Be available for our punctual movers to come to you to start packing and moving your house
- Inform our crew of any special instructions you may have for any of your belongings prior to moving
- Check items off the inventory list as they’re loaded into the truck by our movers before transport
- Leave keys at an agreed upon location for the new occupants
- Try and be available at the destination to check off the inventory list as our crew loads them into your new house
- Have payment ready for your movers
- Get started with a new chapter in your life in your new house, with the best of wishes from our Touchwood family to yours!
Items that require special attention while moving houses:
- Appliances – We take care of all the appliances such as laundry machines, dishwashers, single or double door fridges, stoves, freezers, snow blowers, lawn movers, old boilers in the basement, heavy tool kits, and so on.
- Exercise Equipment – We move all types of exercise equipment including but not limited to treadmills and ellipticals.
- Marble Top – Any item that has a marble top like dining or breakfast table, coffee table, nightstand or dresser is dealt with very carefully by packing the marble with padded blankets or bubble wrap.
- Pool Table and Safe – Special dollies are used to move these heavy items. We move multi slab, single slab as well as snooker tables.
- Forging or Welding Machines – We also move all kinds of machines whether they weigh a hundred pounds or a thousand!
- Vanity – We move all kinds of kitchen as well as bathroom vanities.